Once my son Yohaan completed 6 months, we were all happy and excited for the start of our semi-solids journey, aka introducing first finger food items to our baby. Little did we anticipate the challenge it was to find and offer an appropriate and nutritious food item every day. Thankfully, my son relished and thus encouraged us to try everything we had available with us in the season.
First, let’s discuss a few things that were taken care of:
- We did not include salt or sugar and offered the food item with little or no cooking, hence packed with all its natural nutrients and natural taste.
- Preparing and eating fresh was our goal.
- The food item was prepared in such a way that it could easily be held by a baby and could be easily mashed between forefinger and thumb, to avoid the chances of choking.
- Apart from liquid food items like curd or porridge, Yohaan has always been encouraged to self-feed.
- We sit together and eat. A booster chair has been helpful to us in 2 ways here: First, Yohaan sits at one place and eats. Second, as it is attached to the dining chair, he easily accompanies us during mealtimes, and quite often participates in dinner conversations too 😊 JK
- No TV or other form of distractions during meals.
- Scheduled mealtimes.
- Breastfeeding 45 minutes prior to mealtime and more than an hour in case of Formula Milk.
- Start with finger foods only when you feel your baby is ready to start solids and semi-solids.
That said, let’s move on to the list of simple and easy first finger foods that can be offered to babies.
Table of Contents
FRUITS (Fresh, Ripe and Finely Sliced)
FRUITS (Fresh, Ripe and Peeled)
- Custard Apple
VEGETABLES (Fresh, Steamed and Sliced)
- Beet root
- Bottle gourd
- Egg plant
- French Beans
- Sweet potato
VEGETABLES (Fresh and Sliced)
- Armenian Cucumber (Kakdi)
- Chapati strips
- Paneer sticks
- Rice balls
- Rice puffs
- Tofu sticks
The list above includes only vegetarian options, and mostly what my son had. If you would like me to add non-vegetarian options too, do tell me in the comments down below.
How did you start the weaning journey for your baby?
Some handpicked topics for you to read next:
- CARROT COINS: FINGER FOOD FOR BABIES
- BABY PHOTOGRAPHY AT HOME: IDEAS, TIPS AND TRICKS!
- BEST BABY SHOWER GIFTS FOR AN INDIAN MOM
- THE CHILDREN ARE NOT ASLEEP! The dangers of having intimate moments in a child’s presence
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to share it! If you like my content, subscribe to get notified every time I write a new blog post.